Friday 30 November 2012

Chewie update 32ish weeks


Chewie is now enjoying his bath so much that he has started hopping into his drinking water, so I had to get him a bigger dish as he got stuck.  He has a nap lol while in the water.  It is summer here and a rather hot one, I have a fan in the bird room on oscillate to give the birds a gentle breeze.
He seems to be comfortable with us now and though he doesn't bite us he is happy to say hey I don't want pats right now, he opens his beak and barely touches the offending hand.  He will let you pat him once or twice and that's it.
I don't think he will ever be a cuddly bird like hand raised birds usually are as his firts 10months were so traumatising.  This has Mr 7 sad as he loves Chewie and still spends every morning with him on his finger having a chat, and reads his books to him, etc and he really wants Chewie to like being patted but understands that Chewie doesn't like it so he doesn't push it (proud of my boy), he is focused on what is best for Chewie and I think that is awesome.
Though he still wants a princess parrot he has decided that Chewie needs him so he will just be Chewie's best mate and has asked us not to get him his hand raised pet.
I still am struggling to get Chewie to eat veg I don't think he knows its food.  But I am hiding pureed pumpkin in his seed, he is not happy but at least I am getting something into him.
He now explores his cage much more and sits on the varying perches and ladders and even his pine cone that is in the corner.  A new local pet shop is stocking ladders made from branches so I made a slight change and bought one of them, each rung is a differing size so great foot exercise, he likes it so that is good.
Thankyou for your interest in Chewie, he is such a awesome bird.

11 comments:

  1. Glad to read that Chewie is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very glad that you offered a home for a blind cockatiel. However, I still suggest that you try to find him a cage mate. I have read many stories of blind budgies or cockatiels that lived happily with other birds. Life of these handicapped parrots is even sometimes easier because other flock members help them to move in their surroundings by calling to them. Of course, it also depends on the character of the second bird, but cockatiels are rather gentle and peaceful, so I think that a very young bird might be able to learn to coexist with Chewie successfully. Chewie might also learn that the second bird is not a threat, just as he learns the same about people. The fact is that if you don't give Chewie a chance to interact with another cockatiel now, he will quickly forget that he is a bird and it will be imposible to change it in the future.
    Budgies may not necessarily be a good company for a cockatiel, they are often too energetic. I too have a handicapped cockatiel, a flightless male, who also feels uncomfortable with budgies, but gets along perfectly well with other cockatiels.

    Regardless of your decision, good luck and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to write: I am blind, too. And as a last remark: blind birds may also play with toys, but they must be always in the same place. The best toys are the one that make sounds or have different textures, such as bells, small branches, ropes, leather strips, pieces of paper etc. Blind birds also tend to like cork tunnels intended for rodents, but beware that females may treat them as nestboxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Izabela, I had wanted to give Chewie birdy companionship but unfortunately due to his experience in his last flock when another bird comes near him he attacks in defence, they could just sit next to him on a perch and do nothing but he senses them and attacks in their direction. It would not be safe for another bird.
    He is in a room with the other birds, they are all in separate cages and he can hear them and the birds outside, and that is the best we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Chewie is doing great.
      He still loves music, listening to birds sing, loves my son (my son just turned 10) he still sits by his door calling him when he wants to hang out.
      He still doesn't like being touched but loves being on your finger or arm.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear that Chewie is still doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear that Chewie is still doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I figure this is a long shot, but I thought of Chewie today. Is he still doing well?
    Thanks,
    kksdad0821

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly Chewie died from other underlying genetic issues no one was aware of.
      He hid his ill health until it was too late.

      Delete