Wednesday 25 April 2012

Caring for a blind Cockatiel

As mentioned in Welcome To Chewie, I observed how his previous owners handled him and how he reacted to this and to my neighbour.
Monday: my husband was the one to get him out of the transport cage, he bonded with Chewie instantly.
He took the top off the cage to avoid grabbing him to get him out the small door and spoke to him softly for several minutes before placing his hand in the cage.  He put his finger infront of Chewie's chest and said up softly.  Chewie hopped up and chirped away happily.
So we had our approach, we would constantly speak softly and never grab him in the usual hand hold used to hold birds for examinations etc.
My husband took him to his new cage and as he placed him in the door he said in.
Usually we would let a new bird have 24hours in their new cage to get used to it but after a sort period of time he was trembling with fear.  So my husband got him out again, but talking softly for several minutes, then placing his hand infront of his chest and said up softly.  He took him out and Chewie had some pats from my husband, my 7yr and my 14yr.  As we touched him we spoke softly the entire time.
At this point he hadn't bitten any of us or attempted to.
I had noticed on the drive home he liked music so we played him The Beetles.
Tuesday:I noticed he didn't want me to take him out of his cage only my husband and daughters.  He also went to bite myself and my 7 year old.  My husband calls it my animal voice, I go a little high pitched and Mr 7 does this also, we made our voices deeper but still soft and this stopped.
We noticed he did not like his back or wings being patted
We played him some Jazz (loves that).
We started the command down when he is on the finger and we want him to go on a surface or someones shoulder.
Wednesday Today I played Youtube videos of other Cockatiels whistling and he really loved it.  Also a video of a Cockatiel dancing to someone playing violin he really likes the violin.
We started a new word, snuggles, we use it when we are going to pat him, we say it softly and then pat him on his back very softly, after a few minutes he stopped trying to nip.
The thing we have learnt is everything needs to be soft.
My husband can do a few funny voices and one is a bird talking, he said hello to Chewie in a bird voice and Chewie was very interested.
I placed him on the desk and got his food bowel out of the cage and said here's your food while placing the bowel infront of him.  He stepped in it lol.  I am going to persevere with this command as I thought it may be useful down the track.
When placing fresh food and water in the cage, I talk to him softly and tell him I am getting him food and water.
When its bedtime, I say "Chewie its bedtime now I am going to tuck you in".  Though he is completely blind he knows day from night, we noticed when a bright flash of a camera went off he hissed, this is the only time there has been any reaction to visual stimuli
I know he doesn't understand my long sentences but hearing a voice as his cage is being touched calms him.
So what we have learnt so far
Use a soft voice with a deeper pitch.
Always use a greeting word when entering the room or approaching the cage, we just say Hello Chewie.
When patting do so softly.
Speak softly constantly as you are touching the bird or the birds cage.
Don't grab the bird, let him step up.
You are his only source of entertainment as toys are of now use to him, so having each member of the family spend time every day talking, patting etc is important.  We have placed his cage in our office as it is the room used most during the day.
Playing music or other birds chirping, singing, talking etc is very stimulating for him.
I hope this helps anyone needing info on caring and handling a blind cockatiel.

No comments:

Post a Comment